Health Facility Survey
The 2004-2005 Health Facility Survey is the first survey of all health facilities in the five USAID-supported governorates - Amran, Al Jawf, Marib, Sadah and Shabwah - since the Yemen Health Facility Survey was conducted in 1998. The survey, supported by USAID/Yemen through the Partners for Health Reformplus Project, inventoried all private and public health facilities in each district and included the use of handheld global positioning system (GPS) units to pinpoint the exact geographic locations of villages and health facilities.
Ten survey teams, including team leaders from the Ministry of Public Health and Population (MoPHP) and surveyors from governorate and district health teams, took digital photos of the facilities in order to document their condition. An Operations Center was set up in the Governorate Health Office to receive and verify incoming data from the teams on a daily basis.
The main purpose of the survey was to collect and summarize detailed information on infrastructure, ownership, health services provided, medical equipment, and financing of all facilities in the governorate. The methodology – collaborating with central, governorate and district level staff – assured a participatory process that focused on capacity building and consultation for and with the end-users of the data.
On-line Health Facility Viewers
The results of the five governorates surveyed are now available via on-line viewers. These map-based viewers contain individual facility listings and photos, as well as governorate and district level aggregate information.
- Al Jawf Health Facility Survey Report (English, Arabic, pdf) - The full report.
- Amran Health Facility Survey Report (English, Arabic, pdf) - The full report.
- Marib Health Facility Survey Report (English, Arabic, pdf) - The full report.
- Sa'adah Health Facility Survey Report (English, Arabic, pdf) - The full report.
- Shabwah Health Facility Survey Report (English, Arabic, pdf) - The full report.
- Health Facility Questionnaire (English, Arabic, pdf) - The full questionnaire developed for this survey. The document includes questions on infrastructure, services, staff, equipment, medicine and finances.